Discovering that I have leftover mashed potatoes is the greatest of culinary discoveries. I would eat the stuff (with brown gravy) for every meal for the rest of my life, without complaint. However, not everyone in the house is as open to eating the same ol’ mashed potatoes over and over (THE CHEEK, I KNOW) so here are a few variations on the theme:
1. Mashed Potato Patties! They’re like pancakes, only nothing like pancakes (except for the shape and color)! Serve them with some wilted greens for pretties.
2. Shepherd’s Pie, natch. Shepherd’s pie is a leftover-lover’s best friend. It’s basically a ground meat/veggie blend topped with mashed potatoes and baked, and you can really use whatever ground meat and vegetables you want. Or, ya know, just do what Martha tells you to:
3. Soouuuuuppp. Find your favorite baked potato soup recipe and sub out the cubed potatoes for however much mashed potato you have left.
4. Perogi because carbs wrapped in carbs are the happiest carbs of all.
Potato perogi from Spoonful. Just use your leftover mashed potatoes as the filling.
5. Gnocchi! Gnocchi are little pasta/potato dumplings that are super-easy to make and are a great way to use up both leftover mashed potatoes and the rest of that jar of tomato sauce that’s been in your fridge for too long YOU KNOW THE ONE.
6. Potato bread because now we’re talkin’ carbs BAKED INTO carbs, I can’t even.