Ugh, you guys, summer squash is my personal plague of locusts. They are EVERYWHERE and ALL OVER MY KITCHEN and I HATE THEM. I’ve been scarred by my childhood summer squash experience: plates and plates of squishy, jelly-fish looking stuff sauteed in a pan until dead. It was what I imagine eating mucus would be like. But now they’re coming at me from all directions- neighbors, friends, and my CSA box- and I’m on a quest to find interesting yellow squash/zucchini recipes that aren’t bread or a frittata.
Note: You can substitute yellow squash for zucchini in almost any recipe. Zucchini can be a little sweeter and have a bit thicker skin, so use your own judgement, but that opens up a few more possibilities for you. Here are 10 new (to me, anyway) ways to use up those squash:
1. Summer Vegetable Pancakes with Basil Chive Sour Cream from Three Square Chef
2. Zucchini-Tini from The Food Network
3. Grilled Sausage and Apple-Stuffed Zucchini or Yellow Squash from Taste of BBQ
4. Zucchini Dessert Squares from Taste of Home
5. Zucchini Dessert Pie from Food.com
6. Chocolate Zucchini Cake from Simply Recipes
7. Goat Cheese Tart with Roasted Eggplant, Zucchini, and Caramelized Onions from The Kitchn
8. Yellow Squash and Lemon Marmalade from Friends Drift Inn
9. Zucchini-Lemon Cookies from Food52
10. Pickled Yellow Squash from The Kitchn
Sign up for our newsletter to have the best of Food Riot delivered straight to your inbox every two weeks. No spam. We promise.